A man with a low IQ has accomplished great things in his life and been present during significant historic events—in each case, far exceeding what anyone imagined he could do. But despite all he has achieved, his one true love eludes him.
- Year: 1994
- Country: United States of America
- Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
- Studio: Paramount, The Steve Tisch Company, Wendy Finerman Productions
- Keyword: vietnam veteran, hippie, china, washington dc, usa, single parent, mentally disabled, based on novel or book, waitress, usa president, optimism, parent child relationship, 1970s, autism, drug addiction, alabama, vietnam war, john f. kennedy, black panther party, ping pong, bus stop, friendship, stripper, bullying, moon landing, ronald reagan, richard nixon, cancer, singer, family relationships, death of lover, death, illness, leg brace, physical abuse, dying mother, ill mother, death of mother, historical event, military, disability, shrimping, anti war protest, low iq, false history, assassination attempt, vietnam flashback, intellectual disability, 1960s, mother son relationship, monument valley, child sexual abuse, dying in arms, ptsd, elvis presley, single mom, disabled veteran, war rally, lyndon b. johnson, dick cavett, single dad, ping pong diplomacy, college football, slow-witted, bob hope, neil armstrong, gerald ford, robert f. kennedy
- Director: Robert Zemeckis
- Cast: Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Sally Field, Mykelti Williamson, Michael Conner Humphreys